On May 3, 1845 a group of citizens met at the home of Samuel Mengel and decided to build a church that would serve those of Lutheran and German Reformed descent. Good Shepherd began at the Tuckerton location in 1849 as Hinnershitz Union Church. The building housed both a German Reformed and a Lutheran congregation until the dissolution of the union in 1965. In the year 1930 the name was changed to Good Shepherd.
In 1934 the German Reformed Church and the Evangelical Church merged to form the Evangelical and Reformed Church. In 1957 the Evangelical and Reformed Church and the Congregational Christian Churches merged to form the United Church of Christ.
In 1965, both the Lutheran and Reformed congregations decided to end the 120-year union. The United Church of Christ (Reformed) remained in the original building and the Lutheran Congregation would build a new church one mile west on Tuckerton Road.
In October 1994 and November 2006 Good Shepherd United Church of Christ purchased 2.67 acres and .76 acres of land respectively from the Good Shepherd Cemetery Company to build a new church west on Tuckerton Road,. The new building at 170 Tuckerton Road was occupied on June 2009 with an expanded sanctuary, offices, choir room, social hall, kitchen and Sunday School room.
Since the church’s inception, the Reformed side of the church has been served by eight full-time and six part-time pastors. A close relationship has been maintained with Good Shepherd Evangelical Lutheran Church. In 1995 both congregations held joint 150th anniversary events and each year the churches hold joint Thanksgiving Eve and Ascension Day services of worship.
- Moved in new church building at 170 Tuckerton Road (June 2009)
- Opening of a 50-year-old time capsule (Buried June 1967/Opened June 2017)